I was looking on internet for simple way how to use Java6 (aka Mustang) in edgy/dapper. I wanted to use it same way I do with Java5. So I looked for Java6 debian package. Finally I found solution:
- Visit http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/source/sun-java6 and download all three source files (bottom of the page. They ends with .dsc, .tar.gz and .diff.gz).
- Put them in same directory (like /tmp/java6).
- Run dpkg-source -x *.dsc
- Enter the newly created directory (in my case sun-java6-6-00)
- Run fakeroot debian/rules binary
- Debian packages will be created in upper directory. Install them.
- To use Java6 by default run: update-alternatives --config java
I hope that soon we will have Java6 in edgy backports or at least binary packages.